Monday, August 6, 2012

Week Tres ("Three" for those who need translatio​n)

Ok all- Here's week 3!

Last night we had a baptism/confirmation- her name is Linda and she is a great woman! Normally, converts to the church are confirmed on Sunday during church- but since next week is Stake Conference here, and the week after that Linda will be moving her daughter- we got special permission to do it "fontside" (i.e. right after the baptism). I was given the opportunity to confirm her (my first on the mission)
and it was an amazing experience. I also gave a talk on baptism. In 2 weeks I am being "volun-told" (?) to give a talk in Sacrament meeting (....yea....!?!?) Elder Reid says I am lucky- he didn't get to see a baptism between him and his companion for the first 6 months of his mission. The Lord is working miracles here in the FJM (Florida, Jacksonville mission) and I feel so blessed to be a part of it.

I am eating well (mainly for you mom). Lots of chicken tacos with salsa and cheese (and that's it 'cause it's cheap!) and plenty of peanut butter/honey sandwiches. Cereal for breakfast, sometimes a bagel with cream cheese and ham (YUM!- for real). That's about it- but we get along just fine. Oh yes- Vienna sausages too- about 3 cans between us a week!

We had quite an interesting experience Saturday night. We went to visit a man who we had taught the first lesson to last week- and he said he'd read the Book of Mormon and call us. When we went to see him he said: "We must have had a communication problem- I told you I'd call you when I wanted to talk- yet here you are." He went back inside, came out with the copy of the Book of Mormon we gave him, and frisbee'd it about 20 yards; said "Don't ever come back!" and went inside. Needless to say we were both sad and confused, but we moved on. I guess that moment was supposed to teach me something, but right now I'm not really sure what that is...

Other than that- the work is slowing down in our area a bit- very few investigators but it will pick up soon as we find more people to teach. I continue to have some amazing experiences - and am so excited to see what is in store.

Lots of rain still- some really great thunder/lightning to go with it. Haven't gotten too wet yet- but hurricane season isn't over! :)

Honestly- It's just great down here. I love the people and the work. Right now though- I haven't ridden a bike in over 6 weeks- and it's killing me inside. Of course- when it gets up to 105 degrees... not so much with wanting to bike. When it rains, however, I wish that's all we did. (I might be the only one who thinks so....)

I got to go up (or down?) to a little town called Darien (Google Map it- 'cause I have no idea where it is.. haha) I went on exchanges with the Elders there. While we were at a member's house doing service, he left for an appointment (we were still in the house- finishing up) and his car hit ours. (Don't worry mom- no one was hurt) The car will need a new bumper and a realignment (good thing the Church has insurance) but filling out all the paperwork for that was not fun... anyways...!

Hope all is well with everyone that read this! I am loving my mission and can't wait for the great things the next 2 years has in store!

Love and miss y'all

Elder Nielson  

No comments:

Post a Comment